Show them how much you care (about scientific accuracy).
1. This scientifically accurate Valentine’s card.
Because having very specific ways to describe how someone makes you feel is important.
Because declaring your love any other way is elementary.
Because having your own jet propulsion system is sexy.
Because it’s important to be able to pick up the pieces and put your heart back together again.
Because geology puns rock.
(Also, for last-minute present buyers: this watercolour is available to download right away, you just need to get it printed on decent paper.)
Because you can never have enough anatomy puns.
Because VD doesn’t just stand for Valentine’s Day.
8. These anatomically correct heart cufflinks.
Because you should wear your heart on your sleeve.
Because they are your sweet-heart.
Because if caffeine is your valentine, that’s ok too.
Because a $10,000 solid gold micro-animal model is the only way to show you’re really serious.
(There are cheaper plastic ones in fetching colours, too.)
Because you can customise it with the date you met.
Because sometimes you need a reminder to look up at the stars.
Because robots have feelings too.
Because love means washing your hands with scientifically accurate soap after you go to the bathroom.
Because sometimes you need a little extra company when your other half is away.
Because you can’t always be there to keep them warm yourself.
Because your valentine should know how happy they make you.
With the passing of Leonard Nimoy the BuzzFeed illustrators pay tribute to his greatest character.
Maritsa Patrinos / BuzzFeed
4. Including this one about Spock.
Dan Meth / BuzzFeed
Bertil Unger / Getty Images / Chris Ritter / BuzzFeed
Happy birthday, definitely-not-Batman!
1. The life of a sad billionaire orphan isn’t easy, but Bruce Wayne handles it with impeccable style.
2. Remember that time he handled the tragic death of his parents like a man? I do.
3. And when some little punk tried to get in his face about being an orphan or whatever, Bruce had absolutely none of it.
4. He cracked that sucker’s face open with his father’s watch because Bruce Wayne doesn’t have ~time~ for bullies.
And Alfred let him do it. Never forget that.
5. While other kids his age are collecting PokÃ©mon cards, Bruce collects evidence of corruption in the city he calls home.
6. (He also often falls asleep on the evidence of corruption in the city he calls home but that’s OK Bruce, it beats doing homework.)
7. But seriously, Bruce Wayne is a genius boy detective and every single cop in Gotham wishes they had his skills.
Even these two. Especially these two.
8. Bruce Wayne once fell down a hill and probably sprained his ankle. Do you think that stopped him?
9. IT DIDN’T. He army-crawled right back up that hill and arrived in time to drink tea and watch the sunrise.
WHY DO WE FALL?
10. The young ladies of Gotham have also noticed that Bruce is a total BAMF.
11. Selina Kyle might even like him, and she doesn’t like anyone.
12. Bruce is the de facto head of a multibillion dollar company. In case you didn’t know.
13. His Board of Directors thinks he’s just a little boy but that is the last mistake any of them will EVER MAKE.
14. Because Bruce Wayne isn’t even close to messing around when it comes to his parents’ legacy.
15. That’s just the kind of guy Bruce is! Brave, stalwart, true, and also a total badass-in-the-making.
16. So until everything falls to shit and he decides to dress up like a bat and wreck criminals in his spare time, Gotham’s going to have to answer to Bruce Wayne.
17. It’s Bruce’s world and we’re all just living in it.
As it turns out, today is both the birthdays of Bruce Wayne the character AND David Mazouz, the actor who plays Bruce Wayne on Gotham. How’s that for a coincidence?
Happy Birthday to both!
You probably deserve a PhD in crisis counselling.
1. When you’re dating a PhD student, your partner spends all day every day obsessing about a single, tiny, specific subject.
But you know it means the world to them, so you play along.
3. So you may have to be there to give them some perspective.
“No one dies if you don’t finish this chapter tonight, darling.”
4. They’re never really in their element until they get to the library…
…and then stay there for 15 hours.
5. They can also be a little hard on themselves.
So it’s important to remind them frequently that they’re not an idiot, relatively speaking.
6. You’ll join them in the delights of years and years and years of a strict budget and student lifestyle.
The struggle for funding is real, and it tastes like pot noodles.
7. Oh, and you’ve heard all about the stiff competition for an academic job.
Basically, no-one wins that race.
8. If their topic of their research ever comes up in pop culture, you have to deal with the inevitable emotional fallout.
“THAT’S NOT WHAT THAT MEANS.”
9. Their sense of humour is a little bit unique…
10. …as is their idea of flirting.
BuzzFeed / Via the teachings of Marc Weller
11. You’re nearly as worried as they are about their thesis defense.
By the time it comes around, though, you’ve picked up so much second-hand knowledge that you could probably do it for them.
12. Their idea of a rockstar is probably a little different than yours.
(Or maybe not.)
14. They send you the highlights when they’re grading students’ essays, which can sometimes be worrying.
15. Like, really worrying.
Our children are the future.
16. They give you plenty of occasions to worry about their health.
17. And their crises of confidence are surprisingly frequent, but you do your best to reassure them.
“Yes, Jack is smarter than you. But only because Jack is a genius.”
18. They take their students’ reviews way too seriously.
Both the flattering and the unflattering ones.
19. Their friends are other PhD candidates who are always talking about their subject, but you learn enough buzzwords to get by at parties.
20. In fact, being an outsider to academia can make you seem like a rare and exotic creature.
You can tell them what it’s like out there in the real world.
21. At the end of the day, your partner makes the best book recommendations, and that’s pretty great.
22. And since they spend all their time applying for grants and scholarships, they’re really good at helping you with essays and cover letters.
Though they can be a really brutal editor sometimes.
23. You love that you’re always learning from your partner…
24. …even though most of the time it’s totally useless knowledge.